Friday, September 16, 2011

Scotland - Day 7


Today was my day to explore the Isle of Skye (Cloud Island in Gaelic) and the weather was extremely cooperative. It was a fairly sunny day for a change – the perfect day for a hike. I began the day with intentions of driving all the way around the Trotternish peninsula on the northern end of the island with a hike in the midde, but things did not play out quite as I had hoped.

As soon as I began to drive up the east coast of the peninsula, spectacular views of the mountains and seaside cliffs greeted me. I seemed to be pulling over every mile in order to take pictures. A key stop included Kilt rock, which is a cliff on the sea that is said to look similar to a kilt, which it does with vertical ridges that look almost like pleats.

Kilt Rock


After a quick break for lunch, I headed up a side rode towards the center of the peninsula towards my mid-day hike. (For the most part, my lunches have been very light – the heavy Scottish breakfasts have left me full until 2 or 3 in the afternoon. But today I wanted to at least get a little something additional in me before I began my hike.) The hike I had chosen is called the Quirang, which none of my books seem sure of what it means. I made my way up a very narrow and steep road that led to a low ridge from which the hike begins.  From there, I parked (had to park in a “passing place” because the parking lot was full – popular hike, apparently) and started out by foot.

I had borrowed a hiking guidebook from my B&B that said there was a difficult side trail up a narrow ridge on the right that was only for skilled scramblers, so I naturally naturally headed up the first ridge I came to. One side was a rocky cliff, and the back side was a very steep grassy hillside. Even the grassy side was incredibly steep, and I found I had to zig-zag to make progress.  There were little mini-grass ridges all along the hillside which I tried to stick to. Presumably these are created by sheep as they make there way up and down the hills. Without them, the hillside was so steep, there was serious risk of slipping and then tumbling down the hill. I finally summitted the ridge, snapped some photos, and then slowly descended the other side of the ridge, only to have to then make a rather difficult ascent back up to the trail.

The whole time I had hiked this ridge I had not seen a real trail. I presumed this was because it was so challenging and out of the way that most people avoided it. However, as I made my way along the path, I discovered a side trail to my right which ascended another rocky protrusion.  And that’s when I discovered my mistake – I had gone off piste in my eagerness to climb something challenging.

My next adventure involved hiking up a very steep scree field to my left between a rocky pinnacle and cliffs. It was so steep and there were so many loose rocks, I started several rolling down the path. Each time it would happen, I would stop and watch its progress, ready to shout out a warning to anyone below, but luckily they would stop each time as if by their own will.

After some more exploring, I descended this area (luckily by a less treacherous route), and continued on the trail towards a pass that would lead me up to the overhanging cliffs atop the mountain. I was hiking at a fast pace (at times jogging), and soon found myself on the ridge and ready to make my way back to my car.  As I ascended the ridge towards the summit of the mountain, I was quickly surprised by how different these mountains are from what I am used to. Probably because they are so old, the tops of most of these mountains are not a peak, but rather a long “gently” sloping side on one end that leads up to a cliff face on the other (by gentle I mean not as steep as a ridge, but still an incline worthy of significant effort). These sloping sides are covered in heather (thick, soft plants low to the ground) and look like a giant sloping field raised in the sky. As I neared the summit, the field became less steep and the path became less clear. Once I actually reached the summit, the only trail I could make out at all was the one I had just come up. Confused, I headed in what I thought was the right direction. Soon, I saw some hikers in the distance and started to follow them.  Before long, I found that I was hiking towards what were actually probably sheep farmers, and I began to find the going quite challenging, as the ground became increasingly wet and uneven. Before long, I was stepping on heather and other spongy plants that would sink down until water was poring over the tops of my shoes, and I was quite disoriented. Eventually, I decided I must be going the wrong way and decided to turn around and try to make my way back to the summit. Luckily, I was able to find it, and tried a new route down, which also ended in me being confused and frustrated. At this point the sun, was starting to dip and I began to become a little nervous. I probably still had 3 hours of sunlight, but I had neglected to bring my headlamp (I had packed it, but thought this hike would be short enough that there was no way I would need it - lesson: always bring a flashlight). After some consideration, I decided to go back down the way I had come until I found the cliff face, and then follow it around until I could not proceed or I hit the trail. (In the former case, I was probably going to have to rectrace my steps the whole way I had come in, which was going to be significantly longer, but at least I would know the way).


Thankfully, my plan worked out and I soon found what seemed like a reasonably well-travelled trail. 30 minutes later, I could see the parking lot, and another 30 minutes and I was safely in my car. Unfortunately, between my excursions off the trail and getting a wee bit lost, I had spent most of the day on my hike, so I wouldn’t have time to see some of the other sights I had planned to visit. Nevertheless, overall it had been a great hike with lots of adventures and good views.

After a quick nap back at my B&B, I headed back into Portree for dinner. Unfortunately, I hadn’t made reservations (was this really necessary in mid-September). Every restaurant I went to either was fully booked or was about to close down. (It was close to 9, and apparently in many parts of Scotland, restaurants close their kitchens about that time. This shocks me because I imagine everyone eating a rather late dinner in Europe, but this does not hold true for at least Scotland). Eventually, I returned to the same place I had eaten dinner the night before and they were happy to serve me. It would have been nice to try somewhere new, but at this point I was famished and my dinner the night before had been quite good.  I ended up opting for fish and chips because after the afternoon’s exertion, fried food sounded amazing and seemed well-deserved.

No comments: