Thursday, September 15, 2011

Scotland - Day 6

For reference, Scotland is about the size of Maine, but has the population similar to the Philadelphia metro area - both are somewhere around 5 million. (To keep things in perspective, Maine's population is far less, at a little over 1 million). In any case, it's helpful to understand that Scotland is dramatically less densely populated than England, even though they are both located on the same island.

I forgot to mention yesterday that at Blair Castle, I heard what was very likely the worst bagpiper I've ever witnessed. About three times a day, at predetermined times, someone goes to the front of the castle and plays. I like the bagpipes and thought the setting in front of a real Scottish castle would be particularly cool. Now I don't pretend to be a bagpipe connoisseur, but this bagpiping was just terrible. While the high notes on a bagpipe can sometimes sound whiny, this guy sounded just horribly out of tune in addition to particularly whiny. I simply took a few pictures and then walked back inside the castle to avoid the noise.



No comments: